Recently, I’ve started working on a few e-commerce sites using WooCommerce. It’s an e-commerce platform that uses WordPress to create beautiful online stores. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be providing tutorials on how to set up and use WooCommerce, as well as feature the plugins that I’ve been implementing.
Today’s post is on the Shipping Matrix Rate plugin that allows you to customize your shipping rate based on weight, cart subtotal, and quantity, as well as destination Hope these tutorials will help you with your online store – good luck!
SHIPPING MATRIX RATE PLUGIN
What is it?
As described on Envato:
The Shipping Matrix Rate is the original shipping WooCommerce solution that enables you to offer multiple shipping options to customers based on their locations. With the Shipping Matrix you can define different shipping rates according to destination, shipping method and the weight, price or quantity of an item.
Where do I download it?
I found this nifty plugin, created by Best Kit, at Envato Market. Great place for affordable themes, design templates, plugins, etc.
(includes 6 months of support and updates)
- Calculate the shipping price based on the formula with Cart Total, Weight and Qty variables
- Add new shipping rates with custom names
- Customize shipping rates based on destination
- Customize shipping rates based on cart weight, subtotal, qty
- Supports zip code numerical ranges (e.g. 5000-6000)
- Supports zip code alphabetical ranges (e.g. NA100-NB120)
- Allows to add Handling fees
- Allows to add Tax to shipping cost
SET UP SHIPPING RATES BASED ON CART SUBTOTAL
Let’s say you want to set up your shipping costs so that customers would be charged shipping based on the cart subtotal. For example, a cart subtotal of up to $25 would be $4 shipping, $25.01 – $100 subtotal would be $12 shipping, $100.01-$300 subtotal would be $18 shipping, etc. And let’s say you want different formulas based on specific destination, whether it’s domestic and international, or by state or city. The Shipping Matrix offers all these flexible options! In future posts, I will talk about setting up the formula based on weight and quantity. Stay tuned!
- To set up the Shipping Matrix plugin, go to WooCommerce ->Settings on your dashboard in WordPress.
2. You’ll see a number of tabs for your Woocommerce settings. Click on the Shipping Matrix tab.
3. Click Add New to add your first shipping rate. To edit an existing formula, hover over the title and click Edit.
4. Select a name for the shipping method. This will be visible to your customers.
Delegate the country you want for this shipping method. To select all countries, select the * at the top for ALL countries. To select a few countries press Command (⌘) or CTRL (Windows) and click on the specific countries.
You can also specify which states, cities, and postal codes would use this shipping rate. Leave as is (with the *) to select all.
5. Order Cost From is the minimum the cart total must be to have your shipping rate. Order Cost To is the maximum amount. For now, we are not including the weight as a factor for our shipping cost, so leave as 0.
Input a shipping cost in your shipping formula. In the below example, all cart subtotals between $1-$25 will have $4 shipping.
6. Here’s an example used for international shipping where a shopping cart with over $500 worth of merchandise would have free shipping. In the Shipping Formula field, enter 0.